There is no easy way to become a Scrum Master. Even the Scrum Guide says that the framework is “simple to understand, difficult to master.” Even if you think you are familiar with Scrum, it is a good idea to get some kind of training, because so many organizations practice “Scrum but,” so you will learn more than you might anticipate.
Scrum can be challenging to do well. The job of a Scrum Master is to make sure the team follows the process they have decided upon. For example, the Scrum Master will schedule the daily standup meetings, ask questions of the development team, make sure meetings don’t go too long, and remove “blockers” that may be preventing developers from proceeding with their work.
Some of the responsibilities of a Scrum Master:
- Ensuring that the team incorporates agile practices into their work
- Performing daily scrum meetings to help the team reach an understanding of What work they did yesterday, what they plan to do on that day, and the obstacles they faced
- Ensuring there’s a pleasant relationship between the product owner and the team, as well as with other components outside the team
- A scrum master also ensures that the team is making progress, making sure they are working on the right tasks, removing any obstacles they might be facing, and protecting them from distractions “Source: https://www.simplilearn.com/tutorials/agile-scrum-tutorial/how-to-become-a-scrum-master”
Without a Scrum Master promoting and supporting the process, who can help team members understand the theory, practice, rules, and values of the scrum, the project can flounder and fail.
What’s the pathway to becoming a scrum master?
Even though there are a lot of different tips on how to become a Scrum Master, it all comes down to:
- Know all about Scrum – you should become the real master at using Scrum, know all ins and outs, values, artifacts, events, roles, etc. Read the 19-page document http://www.scrumguides.com (If ever you forget the name, search for “the scrum guides” and it’ll be there). That’ll be your reference for as long as you are a scrum master
- Constantly improve and learn – never stop learning even when you become a Scrum Master
- Read official resources as Agile Manifesto and Scrum Guides.
- Check out our online training course https://hzmconsulting.ca/scrum-master-prep-course/ – those courses teach what is at the heart of the Scrum and Agile movement. It covers the principles and process theory underpinning the Scrum framework and the role of the Scrum Master in it.
- Get certified – Although there’s not per se value in the certificate itself, it proves to an organization that you’ve put some effort in developing knowledge regarding Scrum and the Scrum Master role
- Get experience – Nobody wants Scrum Master without experience. It is possible that there some experience you already have that might correspond to Scrum Master role. Or think about a path in your current role that might lead you to become Scrum Master. This one is your biggest challenge but if you really want it you will figure out a way.
- Read books – Scrum Insights for Practitioners by Hiren Doshi,Scrum Pocket Guide by Gunther, Scrum Mastery by Geoff Watts.
- Follow people on Twitter or LinkedIn….Allen Holeb, Geoff Watts, Naveen Kumar Singh, Jeff Sutherland, Ken Schwaber, John Cutler.
Just like you learn to drive a car only by doing it, you learn to be an effective Scrum Master only by doing it. So somehow you need to find an opportunity to really fulfill the role.
Are you interested in becoming a Scrum Master? Check out our certification trainings below!
Enroll now and start learning from experts.